LCS Laboratory offers sampling kit for measurement of formaldehyde in air of your house. This kit allows very precise and sensitive detection of formaldehyde gas in residential air.
Health Canada recommends 40 parts per billion (ppb) as a safe limit of formaldehyde in air of residential houses. This is extremely low concentration. You need around 0.01 g of liquefied formaldehyde (this is little as a small droplet of water) to contaminate a two storey house. The first symptoms of formaldehyde exposure are itchy eyes, nose irritation. With time, asthma may develop. At higher concentrations in the air, formaldehyde may cause cancer.
The outdoor level of formaldehyde is usually below 10 ppb, while inside the house it can be as high as 100 ppb. The most common sources of formaldehyde in a house are:
Newly purchased furniture,
- New laminate floor,
- New hardwood floor,
- Urea Formaldehyde Foam Insulation (UFFI, UFI),
- Wood glues and wood finish (urea or melamine),
- Candle flame,
- Gas stoves and furnaces
If you have new flooring or bought new furniture and now you feel uncomfortable in your own house, you might have elevated level of formaldehyde in the air. Please note that mold and dry air during cold Canadian winter can cause the same symptoms of eye irritation. But neither Mold nor Dry Air are linked to use of household chemicals.
Your formaldehyde sampling kit includes several formaldehyde dosimeters, and a sampling instruction. You will need to open the dosimeters and place them in different rooms for 24 hours. Once the sampling is complete, please return dosimeters to our lab for analysis. Typical cost of the project is from $200 to $300, which depends on number of room you want to test and desirable turnaround time.
To order your kit, please email us with the following information:
- Your Name, Last Name,
- Shipping Address,
- Contact Phone,
- Number of samples you want to collect. The number of samples is typically equal to number of rooms you want to test. You use a dosimeter only once, so if you want to test basement and kitchen, you need to order 2 separate samples.
- If you want to use a Travel Blank? Travel blank is an additional dosimeter that is used as a Quality Control reference to demonstrate that the obsereved formaldehyde level is not introduced during shipping. The use of the travel blank is important if you do this test for legal purposes.
- What is the date of the sampling? We will deliver equipment by that day,
- How fast do you need the results back (same day, 1-day, 2-days….). The standard turnaround time is 7 business days. If you want results faster, we can accommodate your request but you should expect the rush service surcharge.
We will reply back to you with an electronic invoice which you need to pay online with a credit card to initiate your order.
Thank you for your interest and stay safe.