Metals are the most common material used in our houses. Our kitchenware, floor tiles, pieces or art, wall paint, …. virtually everything contains metal. Some metals are not toxic and we consume them daily, for example Sodium and Calcium. Other metals can harm or even kill you in matter of days: Lead, Arsenic, Mercury and so on. The major rout of metal poisoning is via digestion, when metals gets their way in our body via contaminated food or water. The second route is through inhalation of metal dust.
Exposure to metals via inhalation typically occur during renovation projects or when you work in your hobby shop or garage. The number one source of lead dust is old paint. It is not rare to see old paint samples with up to 30% if Lead in it. In-house Welding, Brazing and Soldering is next source of metal contamination.
Several reference levels for Lead in air are available:
- Industrial Exposure Limits: 50 μg/m³ (Reg. 490/09: DESIGNATED SUBSTANCES, Ontario, Canada. 2013)
- Environmental Clean Air Standard: 0.15 μg/m³ ( NAAQS Table | Criteria Air Pollutants | US EPA 2016)
- Typical Indoor Level: 0.014 μg/m³ (Final Human Health State of the Science Report on Lead, Health Canada 2013) – This is not a limit but rather a statement of what is the typical level of Lead in Canadian houses in 2009.
LCS Laboratory is specialised in professional air monitoring for detection of extremely low level of toxic metals in air. We offer testing procedure developed by National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH, USA) #7301 for detection of lead and other metals in air. The procedure can detect as little as 0.1 (μg/m³) of Lead in air. The original 7301 method is modified by using high volume pump in order to boost method sensitivity.Our technology is sensitive enough to measure level of lead in your air to the level of clean outdoor air.
If Lead is the only metal you need to test, we are happy to perform the test, also a list other metals is available: aluminium, antimony, arsenic, barium, beryllium, cadmium, calcium, chromium, cobalt, copper, iron, lead, magnesium, manganese, mercury, molybdenum, nickel, potassium, silver, sodium, strontium, tin, zinc
Your sampling kit includes one or few air sampling pumps, several cassettes specifically designed for sampling of metal dust, and sampling instruction. The instruments comes fully calibrated and ready to use. You will need to connect the cassette to the pump and turn the pump on. Once you are done, please return ALL equipment to our lab for analysis. Typical cost of the project starts from $160 and depends on number of samples (rooms) you want to test and list of metals that you want to see on your report. You will be also asked for a refundable security deposit for rental equipment.
To order your kit, please email us with the following information:
- Your First and Last Name,
- Shipping Address, Contact Phone,
- Number of samples you want to collect. The number of samples is typically equal to number of rooms you want to test, or number of people you want to check for exposure. You use a cassette only once, so if you want to test both basement and kitchen, you need to order 2 separate samples. We will add one extra quality control sample which you should not use for sampling.
- What is the date of the sampling? We will deliver equipment by that day,
- The standard turnaround time is 7 business days. If you want results faster, we can accommodate your request but you should expect rush service surcharge.
- We will reply back to you with an electronic invoice which you need to pay online with a credit card to initiate your order.
Thank you for your interest and stay safe. Please email us if you have any questions